Favorite Hikes Around Frankfort
This week marked my sixth week here in Frankfort. As the temperatures cooled down a bit this week, I was able to go for some great hikes with spectacular views. Today I will be sharing some of my favorite trails that I have enjoyed hiking throughout the years.
1. The Old Indian Trail
○ This trail has two loops around 2.5 miles long, and the end of the trail brings you to a beautiful beach. The Old Indian Trail is one of my favorite trails because of the great views it has to offer, and the beach that allows for a dip in Lake Michigan. With it being just a 15-minute drive from downtown Frankfort, you can make the Indian Trail a quick morning hike, or a whole beach day.
○ More Information here: https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/trailoldindian.htm
2. Old Baldy Trail
○ This trail is located on Arcadia Dunes just 20 minutes south of downtown Frankfort. Although the trail is only 1.8 miles long, several paths go off the trail that can allow for you to get more steps in for the day. The trail has two different viewing spots at the end of the loop, that allow you to rest on a bench or to sit in the sand and enjoy the view of Arcadia Dune.
○ More Information here: https://www.michigan.org/property/arcadia-dunes-old-baldy-trail
3. Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail
○ This trail is located in Sleeping Bear National Park, just about 30 minutes north of downtown Frankfort. Most of the trail is paved, and has spectacular views of the woods around Sleeping Bear. The trail has many stops, so you can pick how long you want your hike to last. The trail ends at Glen Arbor, and has many stops along the way to get water, use the restroom etc.
○ More information here: https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/sbht.htm
All of these hikes are a great way to explore nature and discover the beauty in the areas surrounding us in Frankfort. I hope that if you do these hikes, you enjoy them as much as I do!