By Loren Weiss
As the end of the CSA summer season draws near, so does the last of their three-concert series, the Armstrong concert. Headlined by brother-sister duo Matt and Cristin J. Hubbard, the concert will feature vocal and piano performances with features from Judy Kabodian on piano and Adam Ahrens on guitar. The duo and their fellow artists will be performing on Saturday, August 6th at 7:30pm in the Meeting House.
Twins Matt and Cristin both have extensive individual musical careers and skill sets that they have been honing for decades, making their reconnection as a musical duo even more inspiring. Cristin has performed on Broadway as Madame Giry in Phantom of the Opera as well as in the original company of The Pirate Queen, and she is a vocal teacher, actress, and artistic director located in Seattle. Matt has recorded and produced numerous albums with Willie Nelson in Austin, TX and plays the keyboard, trombone, and harmonica. He has worked with a variety of industry experts and contributed to the nomination of Nelson’s “Rainbow Connection” and “Run That By Me One More Time,” both of which were nominated for the Country Album of the Year Grammy award. Both siblings attended Oberlin College in Ohio, and their program aims to showcase both their shared beginnings and their own individual experiences in the arts.
As longtime CSA members, the duo has a deep connection with the Assembly, making this concert an even more significant way of connecting the two of them with their roots. They would like to dedicate their program to the memory of their father, Bob Hubbard, who supported both of them throughout their musical and artistic ventures.
The concert is free and open to the public, and the program is listed below:
- Skylark Hoagy Carmichael
- Much More Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones The Fantasticks
- Moments In the Woods Stephen Sondheim Into the Woods
- I’d Rather Be Sailing William Finn A New Brain
- Migratory V Adam Guettel Myths & Hymns
- I Belong Here Jerry Herman The Grand Tour
- Anytime William Finn Elegies
- Grandpa's Piano Matt Hubbard
- Robert's Rumba Matt Hubbard
- Lift Me Up Matt Hubbard
- Going Down Slow Louis Jimmy Oden
- Weaver Finch Adam Ahrens
- Wayfaring Stranger Traditional
- Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain Fred Rose
- Both Sides Now Joni Mitchell
- Diamond in the Rough Shawn Colvin
- April Come She Will Paul Simon
- By My Side John-Michael Tebelak & Stephan Schwartz Godspell
- I'm Going to Go Back There Someday Paul Williams & Kenny Ascher The Muppet Movie