By Tom Clapp August 8, 2019

The recent experience with the CSA water system bacteria contamination has generated a number of questions about private wells on and around the Assembly. As a concerned private well owner, I have done some research on the subject and thought it might be of interest to others.

I started with a stop at the Benzie-Leelanau District Health Department on M-115. ( They were very helpful and provided sample bottles and instructions for collection and delivery to SOS Analytical ( in Traverse City.

Doing a little more digging I found we had used Great Lakes Water Quality Laboratory, Inc. ( in 2014 and still had some sample bottles from them. I called them to see which, if either, set I could use. The representative suggested I use the new ones from BLDHD and sent me an email with instructions. The email also contained some informative links on who should test, how often, and what to test for. The email is repeated below.

My questions have been answered and I now have the tools I need to make sure our cottage water is safe. I hope this helps answer any water well questions still out there.

GLWQL email:
“Thank you for reaching out to our laboratory for drinking water testing information. I have attached our request for water analysis form and instructions for collection. I also included some links to helpful information from the CDC, EPA and EGLE.



EGLE (MDEQ),9429,7-135-3313_3675---,00.html

Laboratory Supervisor
Great Lakes Water Quality Laboratory
6461 Sunset Dr / PO Box 131
Lake Ann, MI 49650
(231) 275-7382”